Gone-bad NO VOC Paint

puddycat Staff asked 3 years ago

We just painted with brand new, but gone-bad NO VOC paint (Dunn Edwards in a dark teal). It went on smelling like good paint but when it dried it has a chemical sour smell mixed with vomit and dead animal. We live in the desert (Sedona) so humidity is not an issue.

Headaches and nausea are not fun. We sealed all offending walls with 2 coats of sealer primer (BIN Advanced) and another top coat of paint, as suggested by paint company, and it did not fix the smelly problem. Then we got desperate. We have burned two boxes of nag champa incense, as well as cinnamon candles for days. We have washed the walls down with backing soda…. vinegar…. and natures miracle.

Everything we do alters the smell, but does not clear it up. Other rooms we painted with lighter tan color of same paint are perfect. The windows have been open for days with exhaust fans going, and we are being held prisoner in the only warm room that doesn’t stink. Once the room warms up the smell comes back. After reading dozens of blogs on this issue and hearing over and over that paint company’s do not own up to having a fix to this bad no-VOC paint issue, it looks like we may to have to tear down dry wall!

HELP …. Any suggestions out there would be helpful before I rip my home apart.

1 Answers
MagicDave Staff answered 3 years ago

The federal government caps the VOC content in paint at 250 grams per liter (g/l) for flat finishes and 380 g/l for other finishes (low-luster, semigloss, etc.). However, some manufacturers have opted to comply with more stringent limits—50 g/l for all finishes…

I would document all your actions and contact a Lawyer to see if a lawsuit is in order (against the Paint Manufacturer)
before taking any other actions…

Your Answer

2 + 5 =