Refinishing my very rough pressure treated wood deck.
Here in a nutshell is what I did to fix up our neglected deck.
- Apply paint and finish remover.
- Wait for it to work while keeping from drying out.
- Used a stiff brush with handle to work old opaque sealer up.
- The stripper didn’t do much for me, so…
- Powerwasher, 2,600 PSI, I know enough to damage wood, but it was in such bad shape anyway.
- Let dry.
- Pound down all nail heads, replace or fix screw/nail pops.
- Sanding boards with 6″ Random orbit sander (60 grit).
- Sanded railings and other details with 5″ RO sander (60 grit).
- Blew off dust with leaf blower.
- Take a step riser board to the local paint shop for an expert review of what I had on there. I didn’t remove all of the original stain.
- Applied Sikkens Opaque deck stain.
Here’s my article with photos that might help in more detail (I’m just a homeowner, not an expert): Refinishing a Pressure Treated Deck
If you have an article that you would like to publish, then you may submit an article and it will be listed on this site.