Select The Right Painting Contractor By Following These 10 Simple Tips
Hiring a painting contractor can quickly improve the value and appearance of your home or business, but there is some homework for you to do first. Follow these simple suggestions and take the guesswork out of finding the right professional.
Experienced painting contractors know that their reputation is everything and the reputable ones will be more than happy to share the names of satisfied clients and their testimonials. They should also be willing to provide their business license and documentation of safety compliance programs. If your job is extensive, follow these steps, get a quote, review it in detail with the contractor and determine what is feasible within your budget.
- Before choosing a painting contractor, do your homework and decide which areas of your home or business need to be painted. Do you need exterior painting, interior painting or both?
- Consider the extent of work to be done before painting. For instance, do you want to repair or replace old molding, put up new doors or repair damaged drywall? If so, ask the painting contractor if they cover this kind of work.
- Price is usually the main consideration when hiring a painting contractor. The best way to stay within budget is to take the time to carefully set one before the work has started. Determine in advance how much you are willing to pay. You may end up prioritizing your job differently based on how much you can afford.
- Decide what colors and brand of paint you want to use. You can get paint charts for all major brands at paint stores.
- Contact several painters in Destin, or in the city you live. Have them all scope the job and quote a price based on the same specifications of work. Inquire about scheduling and availability. Will they be able to complete the job on or before your schedule?
- Ask the painting contractors for references and again, do your homework. Are they satisfied with the job? Was it completed in a timely and professional manner? Take another step and go see with your own eyes how their work has stood the test of time.
- Check the Better Business Bureau and the Internet for customer reviews. If you see too many negative reviews for one company, it is probably best to move on.
- Select a painter based on price, track record and using your best judgment. Your contract should specify the scope of work, total cost, payment schedule, start date and estimated completion date.
- Make sure the contract includes the brand of paint and colors to be used in each location, the number of coats and any additional details. Be sure to specify that the painter is responsible for cleanup and removal of paint from all surfaces.
- Discuss guarantee or warranty programs that may be offered. Inquire about the manufacturer’s warranty on the products to be used on your project. The use of high quality products is as important as the selection of the right painting contractor.
It’s tempting to consider the cost savings of painting a house yourself but the results may look amateurish. There are numerous benefits to using a professional. You may save money doing it yourself, but professional contractors know what works, how to use it, and will have the right tools to get the job done right.