We painted our living room almost a month ago now, and it still smells like paint faintly, especially when the sunlight warms up the room. Also, the paint still feels slightly tacky and scratches off easily with a fingernail. We used Olympic premium interior latex paint that is environmentally safe. We did not prime the whole room first because it was a basic off-white color and was pretty neutral as far as gloss goes.
We did sand and prime problem areas, but it doesn’t seem to be any different in those areas either. Still scrapes off way too easily. What’s going on? Is it possible that the paint that was already there was oil-based? Do people still use oil-based paints indoors? We just bought this house 8 months ago and it had been freshly repainted.
We’re confused and now concerned that we have a big problem. We have 3 kids, and smelling those fumes isn’t good for them, even if the paint is “safer”. It’s still paint fumes.
I look forward to your response. Thank you.